Friday, September 24, 2010

Ferrari-Carano

First published in the Benicia Herald on September 14, 2008.

This week, I had the pleasure of dining at Captain Blyther's, a first for me as I continue to get acquainted with Benicia. I know that most Benicians are quite familiar with the dining at the waterfront establishment, but it was not the food that hooked me. It was, of course, the wine list.

As my date was set on ordering the filet mignon and I was feeling a bit more fishy, I was glad to see some good options for wines by the glass. Whilst scanning the whites, my eyes landed squarely on the Fume Blanc by Ferrari-Carano.

Now, I visited Ferrari-Carano's tasting room last fall, during a day-long tasting session in the Sonoma area. It was the place we stopped last on our limo tour, and needless to say, I had consumed more than a few glasses over the course of that day. I remembered the wines being amazing and buying a bottle or two for my cellar. The chance to order the Fume Blanc at Captain Blyther's seemed like a great way to refresh my memory, in a more sober state.

When my large, bulbous glass arrived, it didn't take long for me to remember just why I had taken such a liking to the brand. The wine had a pleasant, light floral aroma that reminded me of springtime in a garden - perhaps one such as the luscious garden that surrounds the winery's tasting room in Healdsberg (a must see). Moreover, when I pulled the first cool sip to my lips, I got the acidity I expect from a wine made of Sauvignon Blanc grapes. The acidity was mild, though, and that worked out well with the sweet finish the wine left on my palate. Overall, I was inspired to reaquaint myself with the Ferrari-Carano label.

The next night, I stopped by the grocery store to pick up some pork chops for dinner. I cruised through the wine selection, with my Ferrari-Carano radar turned on. I was pleased to see the same Fume Blanc on the shelf, and for a modest price. I also spotted a Merlot, Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon. As much as I'd like to say I decided to venture toward something different, as I had intended, I walked out with the Fume Blanc again. I decided the sweetness would compliment the Raspberry-Chipotle marinade I had a hankering for that night. When the dinner bell rang, my man agreed that the pairing was perfect.

I finished up eating and ultimately decided I wouldn't be doing my column any justice if I took this week to again really only examine just one bottle. I tromped down to the basement wine cellar and pulled the Ferrari-carano bottle from the rack, praying it wasn't also the Fume Blanc. I sighed in relief when I glanced the different label. The guilt soon returned when I looked a little closer. The wine was labeled 'Moscato.'

I guess I can't help but have my biases, huh? But I can say with some authority that it's not enough to rely on my descriptions of these fine wines and a trip to the supermarket to get the Ferrari-Carano experience. Looking back at my photos from last fall, I remembered just how grand the winery itself is, even compared to others in the area. the tasting room is large and has thick marble columns. The gardens stretch way beyond a small little picnic area and would have kept Monet busy for years painting all the blooms that fill its spaces. And of course, there is the must-see giant boar statue (please, when you go, snap a photo with it and email it to me - I'm starting a silly collection).

Ferrari-Carano Winery is open 7 days a week from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is located at 8761 Dry Creek Road in Healdsberg. Learn more by visiting them online at www.ferrari-carano.com or by calling them at 707-433-6700.

No comments:

Post a Comment