Friday, September 24, 2010

Stag's Leap Wine Cellars

First published in the Benicia Herald on September 28, 2008.

Sometimes its absolutely thrilling to sample wine from a legendary winery. Sometimes, it's even better to find out just how impressive the winery's history after the fact.

Such was the case a couple weeks ago when I visited Stag's Leap Wine Cellars in Yountville. The plan for the day, as set forth by my companion, was to stop at the first winery we came across that day with an animal on its sign (or at least with an animal in its name). Stag's Leap happened to be just that place.

What I didn't realize until I hunkered down at my computer to write this week's column was that it was Stag's Leap that had made history at the infamous 1976 'Paris Tasting.' For those unfamiliar with the history, it was on May 24, 1976 that Steven Spurrier, an English wine merchant in Paris, organized a blind tasting of Cabernet Savignons and Chardonnays from both France and California. This tasting in particular is significant because in both categories, the winners were California bottles. As well, the judges were all highly regarded French tasters, who had scoffed at the idea that a California wine would be better than a French. They were stunned when the winners were revealed.

It was this event that put California on the wine-making map. And it was Stag's Leap that had produced the winning red.

Today, the wine at Stag's Leap remains noteworthy, although the whites really caught my attention. My favorite selection from the tasting I had was a 2006 KARIA Chardonnay. I relished the buttery flavors and the subtle creaminess. The bouquet, filled with honeysuckle, roses and other floral notes, was a delight to take in. And to top it off, I got my little bit of trivia while tasting this wine - the fact that thename 'Karia' was given to this wine because it is Greek for 'graceful.' Fitting.

My companion fell for the Sauvignon Blanc, although he was not impressed enough to purchase a bottle for later. The aromas were heavily fruity - bringing to mind lemon-lime and tropical notes. The tasting notes mention that the wine would be good with a peach salsa - which is on target.

I would be remiss not to mention the Cab, as it is this varietal that made such history at the Paris Tasting. The 2005 ARTEMIS Cabernet Sauvignon is made up of 94 percent Cabernet and four percent Merlot. The peppery aroma lent to more earthy scents such as black olive and truffles. The flavors of violets and vanilla, however,were a bit of a surprise on the palate. Overall, it wasn't bad, but it did make me wish I could go back to 1976 and taste the champion Cab.

To learn more about Stag's Leap Wine Cellars, drop by their tasting room at 5766 Silverado Trail in Napa. You can also check them out online at www.cask23.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment