Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Welcome to Bouteille Call Online!

At the suggestion of a friend, I have decided to resurrect my once weekly wine column "Bouteille Call." (Thanks Nate! Good idea!)

If you never met the first incarnation, I'll give you a brief explanation before I explain how this version will be a little different. "Bouteille Call" was a Sunday column I wrote during my tenure as Assistant Editor at the Benicia Herald. In a small town like Benicia, there's not always a ton of breaking news to fill the newspaper - Sunday especially - and there is always space to fill with features, columns and other editorial mish-mash. So when I began covering the small community just 20 minutes south of Napa, I decided writing about wine would be a great excuse to get out and visit the tasting rooms of the world famous region. It was also give me permission to ask lots of questions of the people who make and sell the wine. This was, in my opinion, the best way possible to study wine. Instead of classrooms, professors and lecture notes I could learn in tasting rooms from winemakers and scribble adjectives on wine-stained tasting lists. What could be better?

And so "Bouteille Call" was born. I managed to get out and taste at least once a month, visiting a few tasting rooms each day I ventured out, and I never had much trouble finding friends or family to keep me company. It was unbelievably amazing.

So here, I'm bringing it all back, starting with my columns previously available only in the printed version of the Herald. It's my hope that as I continue to post here, I'll also be inspired to get back out there, taste and share. I don't claim to have any expert knowledge of wine; I'm a girl who just about everything wine and wine culture sharing my opinion. Take it or leave it...or now that Bouteille Call is a blog...comment on it!

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment