Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ceja Vineyards

This article was originally published in the Benicia Herald on February 15, 2009.

Last weekend, I braved the iffy weather with a couple of friends in downtown Napa. We purchased 'Taste' cards from the downtown visitor's center and headed out to try some of the nearby tasting rooms featured on the card.

The Taste card, sold for a mere $20 at various locations in the downtown area, allows the holder to visit 13 different tasting rooms and pay only 10 cents for the pleasure of taking in some of the sips. Better yet, the card doesn't expire until December 31, 2009, so there's plenty of time for locals to cover all the incorporated vineyards.

Although I had filled my pockets with dimes before heading to Napa, not one of the four tasting rooms we visited on Sunday ever asked for the change. I highly recommend picking up one of these cards, enjoying the tasting rooms that are all within walking distance of each other, and hanging on to it for future visits.

One of the tasting rooms we passed through was that of Ceja Vineyards. The establishment, which offers Salsa lessons on Saturdays, is a great stop to make for wine enthusiasts like myself. The staff is friendly, the wine is good, and they have comfy chairs to sit in if you're feet are sore from waking.

The aroma of the 2007 Sonoma Coast Sauvignon Blanc is reminiscent of a bright, tropical fruit salad - with hints of meyer lemons, kaffir limes, guava, pineapple and peach. Once it reaches the taste buds, it carries through with the fruity flavors and delivers a solid, flavorful impression.
With 2000 cases of the white wine produced, it is one of the larger productions to come out of the Ceja winery. I found it interesting that our host, Michael Wray, pointed out that the Sonoma vineyard where the grapes are grown is located just outside of Petaluma. I made a mental note to keep my eyes peeled for a Ceja sign along the freeway next time I am in the area.

The wine that sold me during my visit to the downtown Napa tasting room was the 2006 Ceja Vino de Casa Red. The blend, made up of 58 percent Pinot Noir, 36 percent Syrah and 6 percent Merlot, was not only tasty, but very affordable at just $20 per bottle.

The blend was classically Napa without the general price point added to bottles that come with 'Napa' on the label. I was delighted to discover this particular wine.

I found the wine inviting when I first took in the sweet bouquet, which gave off subtle hints of vanilla. The flavor carried the sweetness over, adding a smoky oak quality to overall balanced wine.

If you decide to check out Ceja Vineyards, their tasting room is located at 1248 First St. in Napa. Check them out online at www.cejavineyards.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment