Saturday, July 16, 2011

Chimney Rock Winery

This article was originally published in the Benicia Herald on January 18, 2009.

Regular readers are probably familiar with my love of Bonny Doon Vineyard - the winery that stole my heart and inspired a passion for wine that led to this column. It has been a favorite of mine for years and no other vintner has managed to come close to dethroning the long-reigning king of my wine-soaked heart.

Recently, I sauntered into a tasting room in Napa that now threatens my Central Coast muse. I proudly and confidently recommend a visit to Chimney Rock Winery.

The first taste there was the 2006 Elevage Blanc - a blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Sauvignon Gris. Rachel Jenson, our host during the visit, explained that the white Elevage is the only non-estate grown wine; the grapes are purchased by Chimney Rock from a small vineyard in Rutherford. The wine flavor had a very unique creaminess that was hard to place. It's originality made me want to get a refill so I could try and pull out all the flavors, but with my hopes high, I let Ms. Jenson move to the next bottle.

Next up was the 2005 Cabernet Franc, a new release. The grapes that make up this wine are normally sacrificed for the sake of a Rose, but the grapes were so delicious, the winemaker scrapped the usual plan and stuck to a more traditional red. The resulting wine is sweet, reminiscent of cherry and vanilla soda. It was truly top-notch.

The 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon that followed was again, a treat. The varietal, which makes up about 80 percent of the winery's overall production was bright and full of berry flavor and complimented with hints of other juicy, fresh fruits. Imagine biting into some juicy fruit salad at a July picnic - that's what this was like.

My favorite taste came last - the 2005 Elevage was one of the best wines, of any color or variety, I have tasted. Ever. Made up of equal parts Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, with about 12 percent Verdot to make it more interesting, this wine secured Chimney Rock a permanent spot on my list of best wineries. It was incredibly balanced and had perfect mix of all the fruit, oak, earth and spice flavors that make wine such a treat. In my opinion, the $76 price makes it a steal.

My enthusiasm for the brand showed I guess because Jenson slipped me a small taste of her favorite - the 2002 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve. She told me that with such a hot year, the wine benefited with a big aroma and big, perky fruit flavors. On the palate, it maintained the smokiness that to me, is what makes a Cab.

If this has convinced you to grab your loved ones and hit the road to this wine lover's oasis, let me get you on your way. Chimney Rock is located at 5350 Silverado Trail in Napa. If you still need more convincing, check them out online at www.chimneyrock.com or call them up at 707-257-2641.

No comments:

Post a Comment