Saturday, July 16, 2011

Olabisi Winery

This article was originally published in the Benicia Herald on March 15, 2009.

Olabisi may seem like a strange name to put on a wine label, but the name signifies more than just rhetorical aesthetics. "Olabisi" is a girl's name in some areas of Africa. It means "joy multiplied." The name is an appropriate label for the wines it accompanies.

Ted Osborne and his wife Kim Wedlake founded Olabisi Winery in 2002, after Ted had spent seven years working in other wineries learning the craft. His resume includes big international wineries such as Cakebread of Napa, Rupert & Rothschild of South Africa and Chateau de Seuil in Bordeaux.

I tried some of the Olabisi offerings a few weeks ago in the downtown tasting room the winery shares with Trahan Winery. My notes from the tasting are littered with food pairing ideas - mostly courtesy of my two good friends who accompanied me that day - which tells me we were excited about the flavors we came across.

First up, we sampled the 2007 Chardonnay. I noted that my friend Jen expressed her desire to eat quiche with the tangy white. Emily, my other companion, pointed out how the flavor of the wine became more okay as it warmed up in her mouth. I remember wanting a little more butter flavor in the glass, but then again, that is a big bias I have in the Chardonnay varietal.

Next up was the 2006 Zinfandel, a treat on the nose with big meaty, peppery and jammy aromas. Jen, again quick with her food pairing suggestion, sipped from her glass and immediately exclaimed, "I want my kobe beef now!" Osborne jumped right in, saying that he likes to sip the Zin while grilling good quality steaks. With only four barrels produced, I suggest that you Zin fans out there try to sneak a couple bottles before they sell out. (Did I mention the $34 price tag? It's a steal.)

The 2005 Syrah that came next was listed on the tasting sheet next to "think BBQ pork ribs!" We couldn't have come up with a better pairing. The nose on this wine was all bright, dark berries like blueberry and dark raspberries. The flavor carried over nicely with a hint of blackberry.

Finally, we got to the 2005 Petit Sirah - a chewy red with a very cohesive nose that quite pleasing all around. I thought this wine could stand on its own and make a nice bottle to open while dinner guests wait to eat. It's big, flavorful and a enjoyable vintage.

For those of you wondering if my companions and I were hungry during out visit to Olabisi, you are correct! (How did you ever guess?) If you go, I also recommend stopping by Bounty Hunter at 975 First Street for a delicious meal post tasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment