Saturday, July 16, 2011

Harvest Wrap-Up - Titus Vineyards

This article was originally published in the Benicia Herald on November 2, 2008.

Last week, I started telling you about my day tasting at some the Napa Valley's smaller wineries. This week, I am continuing, with one of the quaintest wineries I have ever been to - Titus Vineyards in St. Helena.

I consider myself lucky to have been a guest at Titus. Not only was the wine delicious and the service among the friendliest, but the winery is a tough place to get into for a tasting. Titus is situated next to a small house on the Silverado Trail. There is no grand visitor center and there is no temperature-controlled tasting room. To taste at Titus means to be a guest sipping wines poured over barrels and folding tables in a patio area that feels like someone's front yard.

Sales Manager Christophe Smith was pouring the wines when I attended the open house a couple weeks ago. He was chatting and laughing with the handful of visitors who were there that afternoon like he had known them for years. He even shared his recipe for candied walnuts with my mom when she complimented him on how delicious they were.

But amongst all the light-hearted conversation, there were some serious wines flowing.
When we tasted the 2006 Zinfandel, I immediately noticed the sharp tannins and peppery flavor. My dad, who generally prefers a good glass of Zin, made sure I noted that this particular Zin was "perfectly balanced" (literally, he didn't let up until I showed him the words written on my tasting notes card). The oak was light and the tannins were high with just enough fruitiness.

A Cab girl myself, I was quite impressed with the 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon I tasted just after the Zin. It had a dark berry aroma that was hard to pinpoint, but ultimately I would have to say it smelled like blueberries and strawberries. On the palate, there was a nice balance of tannins and oak that left a delicious finish on my tongue. From my tasting notes, I noted that the Cab was actually a blend - 79 percent Cab, 13 percent Petit Verdot, seven percent Malbec and just one percent Merlot.

The last wine was sampled was the 2005 Merlot. Titus crafted the varietal in such a way that I was daydreaming about barbecue as soon as I took in the smokey flavor. The "jammy" flavor that combined with a cedar-like woodiness was a success in my book.

To learn more about Titus Vineyards, log on to www.titusvineyards.com. If you have time, the winery is participating in an event with other wineries along the Silverado Trail the weekend of November 8 and 9. If you get to St. Helena that weekend, you'll find Titus at 2971 Silverado Trail N. Call them at 707-963-3235.

No comments:

Post a Comment