Saturday, July 16, 2011

Harvest Wrap-Up - Schweiger Vineyards

This article was originally published in the Benicia Herald on October 26, 2008.

Last weekend, I decided to follow my own advice and head up to Napa for some Harvest festivities. Four small, family-oriented wineries had sent out a joint press release about a harvest celebration and open house event. The idea was simple, come out and see what these off-the-beaten path vineyards are all about, at no charge, and then maybe meet up with the staff for a drink in town later.

Since it had been my mom's birthday the day before, I decided to bring my parents along with me. My mom would love the tastings and the sweeping views and my dad, who used to make wine himself, could compare notes with other vintners.

Over the next few weeks, I think I'll share my notes on the three spots we made it to that day. This week, I will start with the place we hit last, Schweiger Vineyards in St. Helena.

Schwieger is located on Spring Mountain Road, which, if you have ever visited tasting rooms along that road, is a winding, narrow drive on a mountain just above St. Helena's downtown. It is also the road where TV trivia buffs can be spotted tracking down the Spring Mountain Winery, which was the setting for the 80s CBS drama 'Falcon Crest.' Schweiger is quite a ways further up the mountain than the popular TV icon.

By the time we arrived at the gates to the winery, parked, and managed to get up to the first tasting station, it was 3:56 p.m. The open house event was only slated to go until 4 p.m., and after we drove at least 15 minutes up the windy road, we knew it was doubtful they'd even allow us one pour.

We were wrong. And how wrong we were tells a lot about the Schweiger family business. Not only were were reminded to relax and offered a nice pour of the winery's Sauvignon Blanc, but we were encouraged to come in and taste all that was there - including a couple of the higher end bottles they were keeping hidden under the table for patrons in the know!

I should note that the 2007 Sauvignon Blanc was so good, and so affordable at under $20 per bottle, it was the only bottle I bought the whole day! While maintaining the sweetness that gives the varietal its character, the wine came through with a lemongrass and citrus flavor and aroma that countered the sugars just right. I was shocked when I saw such a decent price!

I must say, the property that Schweiger sits on is absolutely breathtaking. The tasting area and barbecue area is toward the top of the property, with a steep valley of vines growing below. With the weather being so pleasant last weekend, it made for the perfect spot to sit and chat with other tasters by the lawn. I slipped and mentioned to one guest that I wrote a wine column, and she came running over to me a little while later with a little, yellow scrap of paper.

"I don't work for the winery or anything, but I over heard someone say this and I thought you could use it for your writing," she said.

I looked down and read 'explodes in your mouth.' I looked back up at her.

"I don't even know which wine the person was drinking, but I thought it sounded good."

Indeed. It sounded good enough to share with you.

If I were a betting lady, I'd put my money on the Dedication when guessing which wine "explodes in your mouth." The Dedication series, including the 2004 vintage I tasted that day, is the only blended offering the vineyard puts out. This blend, made up of 48 percent Cabernet Sauvignon, 44 percent Merlot, five percent Cabernet Franc and three percent Malbec, was one of the "under the table" secrets. The scent and flavors of thick, dark fruits that reminds one of late harvest ripe fruit is an absolute triumph. Note, you will pay for this delicious indulgence - $85 per bottle, to be exact. But for the serious collector, I couldn't recommend it any higher.

Schweiger Vineyards is located at 4015 Spring Mountain Road in St. Helena. They are open 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. daily for tastings, but appointments are required. Visit the winery at www.schweigervineyards.com for all the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment