Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day of the Doon 2008

This article was originally published in the Benicia Herald on November 16, 2008.

My loyal readers, this is the column I have been looking forward to writing since I started this weekly wine indulgence. Today, I tell you about my favorite winery and the event it sponsors that I look forward to attending each year.

Please, let me introduce you to Bonny Doon Vineyard. The winery, which started high in the Santa Cruz mountains by UC Davis grad Randall Grahm, was intended to be home to Grahm's 'Great American Pinot Noir.' Although the varietal never quite took root for Grahm, other varietals - namely, syrah, roussanne, marsanne and voigner - did. Today, more than years later, the winery is known as a standout American winery that specializes in some of the lesser-known wine varietals.

Now that I've you've got some history, let me bring you a little further into the "Dooniverse." Although Grahm recently moved Bonny Doon out of the original tasting room and production site in the mountains, the spirit of the business is still alive and well. The new tasting room, which opened to the public November 15, is a complete wine experience.

The new tasting room features wine and food pairings by Chef Sean Baker, a biodynamic lounge, and private wine tastings in the new 'tasting pods.'

Members of Bonny Doon's wine club members had a chance to christen the place the weekend before the grand opening, at the annual 'Day of the Doon' members-only party. This is an event I will rearrange just about anything to attend.

The event is a day filled with bottomless wine glasses, food that gets better by the year, live music, all kinds of imaginative entertainment, and fun photo opportunities. All this for $60. It's like Christmas mixed with my birthday with a little bit of Halloween and a whole heap more fun added in.

This year's theme was the basic elements - water, fire, air and earth. Members and staff were encouraged to come in costume as their favorite element, which made for some quality people watching! All the while, various artists painted and sculpted on site, a tarot card reader told guests of their eminent futures, wine educators pulled groups into pods to give lessons on Bonny Doon grappa, plates were filled with gourmet foods, and a whopping 24 different wines were poured.

I'll share with you my notes on my top taste of the day (and for the record, I tried all but two of the offerings). I was highly impressed with the Vol des Anges, a dessert wine made from grapes that were overtaken by a particular bacteria that causes the fruit to dry up like raisins on the vine. The effect of this shriveling is that all of the sugars are pulled into the grape.

Although many winemakers consider this bacteria a death sentence for their crop, Bonny Doon decided to make some wine with the fruit anyway and see what happens. The resulting Vol des Anges is a complex, balanced dessert wine like nothing I've ever tasted. I can hardly describe it.

So, please, jump in your car, drive to Santa Cruz and fall in love with Bonny Doon Vineyard. The new tasting room is located at 328 Ingalls Street, Santa Cruz, CA, U.S.A., Earth. Call them at 831-425-4518 or check out their awesome website at www.bonnydoonvineyard.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment